Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Pegs & Purfling


I had initially thought I would design a site that would bring together fiddle players and makers, and try to create a CoP environment for them, but I quickly realized that this was too broad a set of interests to tackle in the time I had available.

So I have opted to go with only one strand: Fiddle building. Fortunately we are not expected to program all the elements we would like to see. I've discovered that most of the sub-pages can actually be hosted very easily using a range of free Web 2.0 tools: a blog (Blogger), a gallery (Flickr or Picassa), video workshop (Youtube), suggested books (LibraryThing), useful links (Delicious), etc. Aside from creating the initial hub/home page, the rest of the content can take advantage of the wide variety of social networking services that already exist. (Ning provides this kind of "all in one" solution.)

More to follow.

No comments: